Ralph Lauren announced recently the launch of their comprehensive circularity strategy including a partnership with McDonough Innovation. William McDonough is leading the engagement to advise Ralph Lauren on its journey to Cradle to Cradle Certified™ products which are safe and circular while grounded in Ralph Lauren’s vision to create timeless products.
“For decades Ralph Lauren has set standards for innovation and been a visionary in American fashion,” said McDonough. “Through this new strategy, Ralph Lauren is setting another benchmark as they embrace their authentic ethos of a mindful timelessness and create products designed to be reimagined in our Cradle to Cradle Design™ Framework.”
Ralph Lauren’s commitment includes achieving Cradle to Cradle Certified™ for five of their iconic products – from polo shirts and chinos to denim and sweaters – by 2025. As the world’s most advanced, science-based standard for designing and making products for the Circular Economy, the Cradle to Cradle Certified™ Products Program will guide Ralph Lauren’s vision of designing for circularity along the five assessment criteria:
- Material Health. Inventorying and analyzing product ingredients for impacts on human and ecological health with the goal to eliminate all toxic and unidentified chemicals for safe, continuous cycling.
- Material Reutilization and Circular Economy. Designing products and systems to either biodegrade safely as biological nutrients or to be recycled as technical nutrients.
- Renewable Energy and Carbon Management. Supporting the transition to a carbon-neutral manufacturing operation powered with 100% renewable energy.
- Water Stewardship. Analyzing water usage and stewardship during the manufacturing process.
- Social Fairness. Assessing company operations’ celebration of all people and natural systems and progress toward having a wholly beneficial impact on the planet.
“The spirit of timelessness has been core to Ralph’s creative vision for more than 50 years, and our circularity approach reinforces our belief that Ralph Lauren products should not only endure the test of time, but have endless lifecycles,” said Patrice Louvet, President & CEO, Ralph Lauren Corp.
Contact us to learn more about fashion in the Circular Economy.